York woman accused of attempting to purchase 2 iPhones with fraudulent ID, charge card
YORK COUNTY — a York that is 21-year-old woman been charged with theft and medication charges after police say she attempted to buy two iPhones on another customer’s account at a Verizon shop into the York Galleria Mall on Thursday.
Alexis Marie Mathis, associated with 300 block of East King Street, is faced with theft by deception, identification theft, access unit fraudulence, control of the substance that is controlled control of a tiny bit of cannabis, and possessing the instruments of criminal activity, relating to Springettsbury Township Police.
Mathis ended up being arrested Thursday after police had been called into the Verizon shop by a worker whom reported a lady attempted to get two iPhone XX Maxi phones, respected at $1,160 each, with recognition and charge card the employee thought were fraudulent.
Police reported towards the Verizon shop found nearby the mall’s food court, where in actuality the met a shop worker whom reported:
- A feminine suspect, later on recognized as Mathis, joined the shop at 12:04 p.m. and said she desired to buy two iPhones. The suspect reported she ended up being told at most readily useful purchase that there is a fraud alert on her behalf account.
- The worker asked Mathisfor her username and passwords, and Mathis supplied Pennsylvania ID with all the true title Brenda Meline. The ID had an image of Mathis.
- Mathis agreed to show credit cards to confirm her ID, and offered a Visa card with Meline’s name.
- The employee instantly suspected the ID and charge card had been fraudulent, but told Mathis the store’s would be checked by her stock to see just what that they had, because she had been able to validate that Brenda Meline had a merchant account with Verizon.
- The worker came back and told Mathis the shop would not have the iPhones she desired in stock, but suggested her to use A verizon that is second store the shopping center to check on their stock.
- The employee called the second store and advised them about the suspected fraud attempt after Mathis left to go to the other store.
- Mathis arrived during the store that is second short while later on, and attempted to shop for the iPhones here.
- A worker in the store that is second police Brenda Meline have been a consumer with Verizon ukrainian-wife.net best latin brides for 13 years, and contacted the particular Brenda Meline by phone to validate she wasn’t in York trying to result in the purchase.
- The 2nd shop worker then called 911. While the worker ended up being talking to 911, Mathis left the shop.
Police later discovered Mathis outside among the Verizon stores she’d visited previously, and implemented her up to A mcdonald’s that is nearby they made experience of her.
Mathis told authorities she would not have ID so he could verify her identification on her, and the officer asked her to come to the patrol car with him. At that true point, police state, Mathis started crying and admitted she had another ID. She told authorities she was homeless, down on the luck, and ended up being here during the behest of two other individuals, have been expecting her to come back with all the phones, based on the unlawful issue.
Police determined Mathis had outstanding traffic warrants against her. A search of her wallet produced the false ID and charge card, along side a Social protection Card with Mathis’ Social Security quantity onto it. Police also discovered a synthetic case containing suspected marijuana, four capsules having an off-white powder substance, 50 % of a capsule of unknown origin, and a purple capsule. The bag additionally included a smoking that is non-conventional, based on authorities.
After being encouraged of her Miranda legal rights, police state Mathis explained that two acquaintances offered her between $1,000 and $2,000 to get the phones for them. They arranged getting the ID that is fake she had an image taken at a place CVS about a couple of weeks prior, she told authorities. Among the acquaintances, a guy called Tre, presumably provided her the wallet containing the false ID and charge card before making her during the shopping mall. She denied any knowledge of this suspected narcotics, police say.
Police told Meline the reality that her Social protection Card had been found in the wallet suggested the things belonged to her, the unlawful grievance states.
A search of Mathis’ phone recovered texts between Mathis as well as the two other people that suggested their want to result in the purchases that are fraudulent police state.